Saturday, March 3, 2012

3 Months Worth of Paychecks... Should It Decide The Cost of Your Engagement Ring?

I've been having this on going battle with myself and my (hopefully) soon to be fiance'. There is apparently this "rule" that men have been passing along for decades, that before you can even think about getting an engagement/wedding ring, you MUST first have already saved up three months worth of your income.

Now, under extraordinary circumstances, where the groom-to-be had a FANTASTIC job that paid him way more than he needed in order to be financially comfortable in life, I could see thing rule being logical. Though in the REAL WORLD, this is idealistic and romantic, but way more than unreasonable. Sure, many women would LOVE to have an over the top expensive ring with the perfect cut, the perfect fit and the perfect stones. Though most of us are aware that the "perfect ring" is probably way outside of our budget (both the current budget and any foreseeable budget in the next few years). Not only that, but most GOOD women, really DON'T CARE how expensive their ring was. What matters way more, is the thought that their partner put into picking out the ring - if they were surprised, or the fond memories they will get to keep - from going ring shopping after a proposal.

I've always felt that it was the symbolism of the ring that it is important, not the price tag, stone or metal. Those are added bonuses. I'd be willing to take a ring from a cracker-jack box if it meant being the apple in my lover's eye, and I imagine that most women feel pretty close to the same way. In fact I've had this very same conversation with several friends and companions of mine, who like myself, seem to have found themselves in a rut with their relationship, because it can't move forward, since their partners are either no good at saving money, or their out-come is larger then their in-come, so it's nearly impossible for anything to happen.

I wanted to put this question out to the bloggersphere, and to you, my readers: How do you feel about the "three months worth of paycheck" rule? Should engagement be put on hold until the relationship is that financial stable? Or is it just too unrealistic?

No comments:

Post a Comment